Football tournament brings Zhemgang town alive

Come evening, the otherwise quiet town of Zhemgang buzzes with football fans and fast-food lovers these days. The annual departmental football tournament was organised by the district after more than two years. For the residents, it is more a festival than a tournament as it gives them a chance to reunite with friends and families.

The tournament brought food lovers and food vendors together at the football pitch. It is a busy time before the match kicks off. While food lovers choose their favourite, it is a business opportunity for the vendors.

“The dzongkhag organising this tournament is helpful to people like us. We can make a good income selling fast food,” a vendor said.

According to residents, nothing much happens in Zhemgang. For them, it is home to work and then back to home and nothing in between. However, this football tournament has brought them together to enjoy and celebrate the match and their lives as well.

“At home and during weekends, it is boring when there is nothing happening. So, I come here to watch the match and enjoy it. Also, I enjoy eating fast food,” said a resident.

“I enjoy watching football tournaments. I do that every time in the past. But due to the pandemic, the annual tournament was cancelled. The dzongkhag has again organised the tournament this year, and I think this will help in keeping us healthy- physically and mentally,” added another.

The month-long tournament is a boom for the business community and entertainment attracting various sections of the population in and around the district. While the sudden boom will slowly die, residents are clinging to it and making the most while it lasts.

The tournament is organized as per the COVID-19 protocol. The finals will be played this Saturday. There are 13 teams taking part in the tournament.

Pema Samdrup, Zhemgang

Edited by Sonam

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube