Lone female head coach to lead Tsirang FC in upcoming BPL

The highly anticipated BOB Bhutan Premier League is just around the corner, and this season brings a historic addition to the league’s coaching ranks. 32-year-old Karma Dema is poised to make history as the only second woman to take the helm of a premier league club, Coach Denka of Ugyen Academy FC being the first to do so. Tsirang Football Club, making its debut in the premier league, has unveiled Karma Dema as their new head coach recently.

From representing the senior women’s national team in international tournaments to coaching the under-20 women’s team and serving as an assistant coach for the recent Pepsi BPL Qualifiers winner, Daga United, Karma, hailing from Monggar, is now poised to etch her name onto the grandest stage of them all.

Just a week into her appointment, she is diligently guiding her players through rigorous drills.

With a wealth of experience in the game and support from the club management, Karma is optimistic about transforming Tsirang FC into a football powerhouse in the country.

“This is my eighth day of training with the players. And, looking at the talents of the players, I do not have any doubts about my boy’s performance. We are thinking about preparing according to our opposition.”

Karma’s journey in football began when she was selected to play for the senior women’s national team while still in the eighth grade.

Before her tenure as the head coach of the under-20 women’s national team until last year, she also dedicated her time to coaching school students in Trashi Yangtse.

“There is a vast difference between high school tournaments and the Bhutan Premier League. In the BPL, we have to face the country’s top football clubs. So, I have a huge responsibility.”

Karma views coaching as an immensely rewarding profession, one that requires genuine interest and unwavering commitment to excel.

She encourages young girls to consider coaching as a viable career option.

“I did not qualify for class 10. The Bhutan Football Federation awarded me a scholarship to study high school. Even after class 12, I could not secure anything. That is when the BFF gave me another opportunity. Since then, I started as a coach. I obtained my licenses too, including the A license. If we have an A license, there are opportunities everywhere.”

Tsirang FC is set to join the ranks of the 10 clubs vying for glory in the upcoming BOB Bhutan Premier League, set to kick off on the 11th of May.

While the club may be new to the competition, Karma remains optimistic given the talent of her diverse squad comprising both domestic stars and foreign players.

Pema Tshewang, Tsirang       

Edited by Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube