Transport United crowned National League Champions

After seven years without a national league title, Transport United was crowned the champions of the National League 2017, on Saturday. Transport United confirmed their championship win when they won at Ugyen Academy last month. In their final league match of the season, Transport United defeated Paro United 3 – 0, last Friday to cap off an undefeated season.

Led by Head Coach, Ngawang Dhendup, Transport United had one of their finest seasons. Nine wins and a draw from their 10 matches is everything Ngawang Dhendup could have asked for.

“This year, we are the undefeated team, I am very happy. It is very hard to go undefeated throughout a league season. This year we could do it and I am very happy about it. The players gave their 100% and I have to thank them all,” said the Head Coach of Transport United, Ngawang Dhendup.

Star striker, Kencho Tobgay, shared his delight at winning the league after changing teams from Drukstars to Transport United for this season’s national league.

“This is my third attempt at the national league. I haven’t been able to win it. In this year’s ‘A’ league I played for the Drukstars, I came to Transport only because I wanted to win the national league,” said Kencho, adding they were able to come this far, primarily due to teamwork.

Transport’s Indian striker, Nagin Tamang, recalled his hat trick of goals against Thimphu City which proved decisive in his team winning the league.

“I am very happy and I congratulate all my players and coaching staff, and all the members of the club. When I scored the hat trick against Thimphu City FC, they are what we call the rival of the champions,” added Nagin. “So, they have been champion for a long time, I scored the hat trick, I feel like it is an awesome thing when I scored the hat trick and we won the match.”

Transport United received Nu 1M as cash prize. Thimphu City and Ugyen Academy received Nu 500,000 and 200,000 respectively along with medals and trophies. Fourth placed team Thimphu FC received Nu 50,000 while fifth placed Paro United and bottom placed Phuntsholing City took home Nu 30,000 and 20,000 respectively.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube