1st Women’s T20 Cricket Club Championship underway

The first-ever Women’s T20 Club Championship started in the capital, today. Six teams are participating in the inaugural edition of the cricket championship.

It was a fine day to play a game of cricket. After the national anthem, the players posed for photo session. The umpires then lead to the toss.

The opening match was played between Dechencholing Nazhoen and Bajo Cricket Club. Bajo won the toss and asked Dechencholing Nazhoen to bat first.

The decision, however, backfired when openers Dechen Wangmo and Yeshey Choden batted through the innings and set up a target of 179 runs to chase for Bajo Cricket Club. The two, scoring 78 and 65 runs respectively.

With a mammoth target to chase, Bajo Cricket Club looked in all sorts of trouble when they lost their first wicket in the third over. Bajo batters continued to struggle and were ultimately bowled out with just 49 runs on the board.

Dechen Wangmo picked up the player of the match award for her unbeaten 78 runs and a five-wicket haul.

The second match of the day was played between Parop Tigers and Sarpang Strikers.

Such championship will go a long way in promoting cricket in the country, say the participating players.

“Before, cricket was played only by men,” said  Tendel Choezom the Captain, of Parop Tigers. “When women can play the same game, we have to appreciate and support it. And when I get such opportunity, I feel happy. We are able to show the talents women have and inspire others,” she added.

Sonam Peldon of Sarpang Strikers said since it’s the first such championship, everyone has their eyes on the trophy. “I think the girls are practicing really hard to get the trophy.”

Organized by the Bhutan Cricket Council Board, the championship is themed “We the Future: With and For Adolescents in Bhutan.” The United Nations Children’s Fund, UNICEF, is funding the championship.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube