Over 400 athletes participate in BAAF-SEISA Open Middle-Long Distance Championship

Over 400 athletes from across the country took part in this year’s BAAF-SEISA Open Middle-Long Distance Championship held in the capital, today. The middle long distance running events are track races longer than the sprints.

Athletes took part in various footraces ranging from 800 meters to 10,000 meters. The longest distance race, 10000 meters had 18 athletes from various districts. In this category, the athletes have to run a total of 25 laps around the track.

Thirty two-year-old, Kinley Gyeltshen, an army by profession, emerged as the winner in the category. He completed the race in 38 minutes and 24 seconds.

“I did not prepare or train for this competition. When I reached here, I saw a lot of participants, especially youth. I am happy I won the 10,000 meter race category,” added Kinley.

The day-long event was held to encourage and motivate youth to take part in middle-long distance running races.

It was also to identify young talented athletes from across the country. They winners and other potential athletes will be provided with necessary training to represent Bhutan in the international events.

The open middle-long distance championship is an annual event the Bhutan Amateur Athletics Federation conducts with support from the Bhutan Olympic Committee and SEISA, Japan.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube