Nation celebrates Teachers’ Day

Every year, May 2nd is dedicated to honouring the Father of Modern Bhutan, His Majesty The Third Druk Gyalpo. It is also a day to thank teachers for their crucial role in shaping the future of the country. Celebrating the journey of teaching and nurturing, over a thousand teachers from schools in Thimphu gathered at the Changlimithang Stadium to mark Teachers’ Day today. Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay and cabinet ministers attended the event.

Upon arrival, teachers were warmly welcomed with Khadhars by ministers at the Changlimithang Stadium. The event was filled with performances from participants and schools.

Around 40 schools from Thimphu joined the festivities with over ten thousand teachers and students taking part.

“As a teacher myself I feel very lucky and blessed to be here. I think the celebration is amazing. The government has put everything together for us and also the students. I feel like all the teachers work so hard, so I feel very happy to be here,” said Deki Choden Yezer, a teacher at Kuzhugchen MSS, Thimphu.

“As a teacher for many years, I feel truly special today. The cabinet decided Saturdays as a holiday for us and we even received lottery prizes. Hearing praises and prayers, I have felt a newfound respect for teachers today,” said Tashi Dendup, Vice Principal of Jigme Losel Primary School, Thimphu.

“We are extremely privileged to attend the grand celebration at the Changlimithang Stadium. I on behalf of all the teachers in Bhutan would like to extend a very happy teachers’ day to all my fellow teachers,” said Deki Pem, a teacher at Jigme Namgyal LSS, Thimphu.

Praising the role of teachers, the prime minister emphasised the need to enhance the education system.

After the speech, there was a cake-cutting ceremony followed by various cultural performances, games and a lucky draw.

Likewise, schools in every district celebrated with grandeur, honouring His Majesty the Third Druk Gyalpo and expressing gratitude to teachers.

Tsheyang (Intern)

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube