Dzongkha still the toughest subject: Students

Dzongkha still the toughest subject- StudentsDzongkha subject is one of the most difficult subjects for many gathered at HAIKU Youth Camp, which was launched in the capital, today. Sixty five students from five different schools in Thimphu, Monggar, and Pema Gatshel are attending the 45-day Camp in the capital.

Some of the students said there is a need for Dzongkha classes apart from others, the camp covers. Others think otherwise.

“The most difficult subject, although it is our national language, I think is Dzongkha,” said a student of Pelkhil Higher Secondary School, Sherab Lhamo. She said the speaking part is easy and it is the writing part which is difficult. “Thankfully, this programme does not include Dzongkha, which would have been a nightmare for me but there are other programmes such as global awareness, leadership qualities, and fitness where I can develop my skills.”

A student of Motithang Higher Secondary School, Rinchen Tamang said Dzongkha is the toughest because all the other subjects are taught in English.

The Project Director of the Camp, Sonam Jamtsho, said Dzongkha classes could not be included as part of the camp because of budget constraint.

“I understand that the students in town, especially in Thimphu, are having difficulty in Dzongkha.”

Sonam Jamtsho said it is the difficult terminology that makes the language difficult.

He said the camp is a pilot project and that they are planning to continue this project next winter which would have Dzongkha classes.

But, the language is proving not to be so difficult for the students from Eastern dzongkhags.

“For me, English is the most difficult subject,” said Sonam Wangmo from Monggar Higher Secondary School. “Most students in Eastern dzongkhags face difficulty writing and speaking English. I think this program will help us improve our English.”

Meanwhile, the Founder of HAIKU youth camp, Alex Lawrence says HAIKU stands for Happiness, Action, Imagination, Knowledge and Unity. The core idea of HAIKU is to integrate all of the core elements of strong academic training preparation and to train with the main focus on philosophy of happiness.

“I have created HAIKU simply because I have been grateful for the benefits that I have received in my life and it is my sincere desire to contribute to the wellbeing of Bhutan and the happiness of Bhutan.”

Alex Lawrence said it is the Gross National Happiness that inspired him to launch the programme.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube