Punatsangchhu-I riddled with corruption?

MoEAMinister-LyonpoNorbuWangchuk-PunatsangchhuThe Economic Affairs Minister was asked if those responsible for major lapses Punatsangchhu-I construction would be held accountable. The question was raised by The NC Representative of Lhuentse, Tempa Dorji during the Question Hour in the National Council yesterday.

The Minister, Norbu Wangchuk, said the question now is not about fixing accountability but about way forward. Lyonpo explained the way forward is to construct a secured dam.

The initial cost for the construction of Punatsangchhu-I was estimated to be Nu. 35 billion according its Detailed Project Report. However, the cost escalated to Nu.94 billion by April last year.

The NC MP Tashi Wangyal also questioned if there was corruption case involved in the project.

“Inflation, inadequate professionals, additional works and change in design triggered the cost escalation,” said the Minister.

He said the construction of dam alone amounted to an additional cost of Nu.30 billion. The project has been delayed by a year with the dam site being shifted to the current location.

Meanwhile, the members also recommended the need for the ministry to integrate the Bhutanese professionals to gain skills and knowledge which would help in upcoming hydropower projects.

Top Stories

Related Stories

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube