Illegal constructions on wetland in Trashigang

IllegalConst-TtashigangSeveral houses constructed on Chhuzing or wetland in Shongphu Gewog under Trashigang has become subject of a dispute. The issue was discussed during the Dzongkhag Tshogdu meeting but nothing fruitful has ever come out of such meetings.

There are around five permanent and 16 temporary houses built on wetland in Chongthi village under Shongphu.

[pullquote]

I have many children and I don’t have land elsewhere to build a house…”

Lobzang Wangchuk
Resident,
Chongthi village

[/pullquote]

Shongphu Gup, Kuenzang Wangdi, said he informed the people saying if anyone want to construct a house on the wetland they should inform the concerned authorities in the gewog. “But they did not bring any evidence to construct a house so I had to put it in the Tshogdu for discussion.”

Constructing houses on wetland is illegal according to the Land Act.

But the residents say they have genuine reasons to build houses on wetland.

“I have dry land but it’s located on a slope,” said Yangchen of Chongthi. She said it is difficult to build a house on a slope.

[tab align=”left” width=”300px”]

The landowner has to apply to the local authority to convert chhuzhing to other land categories other than residential land
The local authority can reject or forward the application to the agriculture ministry
The ministry will study the case and will take the final decision
[/tab]

The Dzongkhag Tshogdue after discussing the issue has decided to form a committee to address the issue.

“To stop such problem in the future the Tshogdu has decided to form a committee with different concerned authorities to look into this matter,” said the DYT Chairman Kuenzang Dorji.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube