Bhutan Grand Prix archery tournament promotes regional unity

The second edition of the Bhutan Grand Prix archery tournament saw the participation of 28 local and international players. The three-day event which concluded today brought together archers from Bhutan, Bangladesh, and India’s North Eastern states. It is to promote cultural exchange between the countries.

The international-style compound archery tournament featured 50-meter compound-style matches, as well as Western and Olympic-style matches using sights and triggers.

Srishti Singh from India took the first place in the women’s category while Bonna Akhter of Bangladesh came second.

“I am very thankful to the government of Bhutan and the Bhutan Archery Federation. It was a wonderful tournament. The culture, environment and hospitality are very good. I felt very overwhelmed and overall I loved it here,” said Srishti Singh, the winner of the Women’s Category, Bhutan Grand Prix II.

In the men’s finals, Pendyala Chowdary of India secured the first place while Tandin Dorji from Bhutan took the first runner-up position.

“Compound archery tournament where we use scope and triggers is not very popular in Bhutan. It’s probably because the archers don’t know the opportunities that come with it. If more people participate in this tournament, I think it would help in forming a strong national team,” said Tandin Dorji, the runners-up of the Men’s Category, Bhutan Grand Prix II.

The objective of the tournament goes beyond rewarding the winners. It is also to strengthen cultural ties in the region, promote appreciation for Bhutanese heritage, and foster educational exchange.

“This is the first time we have been invited by the Bhutan Archery Federation for the tournament. We are very honoured and grateful to the Bhutan Archery Federation for the invitation. We hope that with this tournament our ties will be strengthened through archery. In the future also we will continue this. We will also be calling Bhutan’s archery team to India for tournaments,” said Dr K.B. Gurung, the vice president of the Archery Association of India.

The Bhutan Archery Federation and the Bhutan Olympic Committee are also supporting the tournament.

The Bhutan Archery Federation said that the initiative will benefit both professional archers and enthusiasts.

Tsheyang Tshogyal

Edited by Kipchu

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube