Happiness Center, an aftercare home for Alcohol and Drug addicts in Phuentshogling struggling for its survival

Since its establishment in 2019, Happiness Center, the aftercare home for alcohol and drug addicts in Phuentshogling has helped over one thousand individuals dealing with and overcoming various addictions. Despite the achievement, the centre today is struggling to keep afloat. Experiencing financial challenges regularly, the centre is facing the threat of closure and job cuts.

For people suffering from drug and alcohol addictions, it is a home of new beginnings and second chances. Currently, about 24 members are undergoing their healing process away from the distractions of life.

One of them is 30-year-old Tashi Tobgay from Samcholing village in Trongsa. He has been at the Happiness Center for the last few months recovering from his alcohol addiction.

Tashi is clean and sober today. Staying clean for the last month, Tashi also serves as an active member of the centre.

“Earlier I was in a mess. I used to drink every day and I was addicted to it. Now that I have stopped drinking and spent a few months without drinking, I feel proud of myself,” said Tashi Tobgay.

Like Tashi, the Happiness Center is also a home for 31-year-old Chado Namgay from Wangdue Phodrang.

Thanks to the centre and himself, Chado has remained sober for the last five years. In all these years, he has not returned home and has dedicated his time to the centre to help people suffering from various addictions.

“The reason why I have not gone back home and stayed here to serve as a counsellor is to help prevent people from falling prey to addiction like myself. Whenever I see a person suffering from addiction, my heart aches,” said Chado Namgay, the Counsellor of Happiness Centre.

But both Tashi and Chado Namgay could lose their home soon. Despite all the good work, the centre is struggling for its sustainability.

“We are facing a lot of challenges concerning food, transportation, and the place. At times we are overburdened with a lot of clients coming in for the service. In such times, we cannot feed everyone. We also have to provide clothes to a few clients,” said Bhup Dhoj Ghalley, the Founder of the centre.

Lately, the centre has also been facing an acute shortage of accommodation for new members.

“The current centre can accommodate about only 10 to 15 people in it. But today we have double the number of people staying here. If we don’t keep them here, there is every chance that they might go to towns and drink or do drugs again. We also have a few elders who have no one to look after,” added Bhup Dhoj.

While the centre manages to make a little income from the Recovery Corner Café set up by Save the Children, Nazhoen Lamtoen and the Thromde office, the facility still has to seek support for rations to help feed its increasing members every month.

Besides providing the aftercare service, the centre also offers intervention and referral services. Likewise, the centre provides shelter, food, and comfort to destitute people and senior citizens who have been abandoned.

The centre this year alone has provided its service to nearly 500 individuals.

Passang Dorji, Phuentshogling

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube