Lone brick factory in Tsirang, a success story

The only bricks manufacturing unit in Tsirang Dzongkhag is a successful venture.Started in 2017, T Namgay Bricks earns a monthly income of more than Nu.700,000 and employs 10 people.

Initially, when local bricks manufacturing units started in the country, they faced difficulties in capturing the market. Most construction companies in the country were not willing to buy local bricks due to the unreliable quality of local bricks. Some local bricks manufacturing firms also sought government intervention.

However, T Namgay Bricks located below Damphu town has been doing well despite some initial hiccups.

The owner, T Namgay, 33, said that the idea to set up the unit came to him when he was working in a brick factory in Samdrup Jongkhar some eight years ago. After gaining skills in manufacturing bricks he wanted to set up his own factory. “There were brick factories in 15 districts, including some nearby districts of Tsirang but not a single factory in Tsirang so I decided to set up one in Tsirang to meet the local demand.”

Initially due to the lack of basic amenities like proper road, accommodation for workers and high land lease rate, he incurred huge losses.

“I nearly gave up the business. But later I realised that there would be problem in getting bricks if the import of bricks from India is banned so I continued the business,” said T Namgay.

Today, he manufactures bricks in his own land. The four machines at the unit produce 2000-3000 pieces of bricks everyday. He charges Nu.10.5 per brick. He receives orders mostly from Tsirang and nearby districts.

The current COVID-19 situation has not affected his business; it has in fact increased the demand. Following the border closure and lockdown in India, the demand for bricks has increased by more than 20 percent. “These days, I get orders mostly from contractors and private individuals. Sometimes it is difficult to meet the demand.”

Given the promising market for local bricks and increasing demand, T Namgay plans to upscale production.

Pema Tshewang

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube