Govt. need to help Bhutanese students in Japan says a Japanese social worker

Bhutanese government need to come up with immediate interventions before the students “Learn and Earn” programme in Japan face more severe problems according to a Japanese social worker. She has been helping Bhutanese youths in Japan since last year.

At present, she is in the country for some private works.

Yumiko Kan works for Nature and Humans Japan, one of the Non-Governmental Organizations. Sharing their situation, she said, most students are mentally burdened.

“There are chances that more students might suffer from mental illness and fall sick due to the stress. Also, there is a bigger burden of debts, in order to undergo vocational training, Bhutanese students are borrowing money again. If it continues poverty among Bhutanese students might become severe.”

She added, apart from one Bhutanese student in a coma due to tuberculosis, there are 22 students others detected with the disease. Some have even come in conflict with the laws.

“I feel very sorry that Bhutanese students are facing such issues in Japan. I feel ashamed this is happening in Japan and as Japanese, I feel responsible for their problems.”

In an effort towards reaching her concerns to higher authorities, Yumiko Kan met with Prime Minister Doctor Lotay Tshering on March 12.

“We established a Bhutanese help desk and this help desk need recognition from Bhutanese government so that we will be able to act officially. I also asked for a recommendation letters for the Bhutanese students who have already graduated from universities, so they will be able to get work VISAs.”

She said the Prime Minister acknowledged her concerns. Lyonchhoen suggested her to meet the ministers for Foreign Affairs, Labour, and Agriculture and Forests as well. The meeting is to discuss ways to solve the existing problems of Bhutanese students in Japan.

For now, the government has decided to defer loans of the students from this month. However, the visit of a Labour minister-led team to Japan to study the issues raised is yet to be confirmed.

Meanwhile, following the expiry of their student VISA, about 300 students sent through the programme are expected to return home starting this month end.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube