Some farmers in Dechhenling Gewog start oyster mushroom business – PG

Until now, the farmers of Dechhenling Gewog in Pema Gatshel have been depending on oranges and maize to sustain their livelihood. But from this year, a few villagers have started exploring other farming works like oyster mushroom cultivation. Three villagers who started the business said it is lucrative.

A group of three villagers from Bata cultivates oyster mushrooms in a temporary shed.

They started the business on a trial basis in January after one of them received training.

“If we want to be self-sufficient, I thought that we must take up such cultivation. So, along with my two friends, we started this oyster mushroom cultivation on a trial basis,” said Ugyen Thinley, a member.

“As I do not have qualifications, it is difficult to find a job these days. So, I thought it would be better to work with experienced people. And I decided to join this project to become self-sufficient,” said Ngawang Chogyal, another member.

They bring the spawns from Menchu in Norbugang Gewog and from India.

The group has sold about 30 kilograms of mushrooms in the locality. They earn about 200 to 250 ngultrum per kilogramme.

And for now, they said it is profitable and they want to expand the business.

“This is just a trial today. Now, we will seek support from the gewog administration. And, if we get the support, we have plans to expand,” said Ugyen Thinley.

Since the group is the cultivator of oyster mushrooms in the gewog, the people living nearby have been visiting them.

In the meantime, they added that they are encouraging others to start a similar business.

Thinley Dorji, Pema Gatshel

Edited by Tshering Zam

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube