Bhutanese choose to sit for IELTS exams in India despite worsening COVID situation

Despite the worsening situation, a group of Bhutanese are preparing to travel to India to sit for the IELTS exams. IELTS is an English language proficiency test required for enrollment in most international universities. There are two test centres in the country but they are currently closed due to the COVID pandemic.

So far, fourteen people have registered with one of the education consultancy firms to travel to India to take the IELTS exams there. They will leave for Kolkata on the 16th of this month.

Nikita is one of the applicants. She says her studies have already been delayed by a year and does not want to wait any longer. She says she is not afraid since all the necessary protocols are being provided to make sure they return home safely.

“I have already applied for my university and it is one of the main criteria to give IELTS. Since I cannot get my visa without IELTS, I won’t be able to achieve my dream of going to Canada.”

The education consultancy firm facilitating the candidates say they are making these arrangements because of the high demand to sit for the exams. Besides arranging for their exams, travel and accommodation, they are also ensuring that the safety protocols are met.

“The protocols have all been put in place by the National Task Force already. So in order for any individual to travel from Bhutan to another country, there is a specific formality that must be completed, that will enable you to then leave. At the end of the day, we are all adults, we are all educated and whether you decide to wear a mask or not or to sanitize, to wash your hands, to touch certain objects, it’s up to the individual to take their own precautions. To take that Gyenkhug and be as diligent as possible when they are traveling,” said Palden Tshering, Head of Operations at Global Reach.

The candidates will bear all the COVID testing and quarantine expenses. They have also signed an undertaking letter taking responsibility of all risks.

Meanwhile, the government says despite discouraging people against unnecessary travel abroad, they do not stop people wanting to do so.

The candidates will be given the second COVID jabs before they leave.

Kinzang Lhadon/ Yeshey Dema

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube