Zhemgang students learn farming skills

Some 50 students from different schools in Zhemgang spent the last two weeks learning some basic farming skills.  

The training, which was conducted by the Rural Livelihood Training Centre (RDTC) in Zhemgang, provided the students hands-on experience in transplanting paddy. For many, it was their first time learning firsthand how to grow rice.

Meto Seldon of Zhemgang Central School is one of them. “This was my first time transplanting paddy,” she said. “I think I will be able to help my parents next time.”

Sonam Eden of Buli Central School said she is glad to have attended the training. “Otherwise, I would have been home watching TV,” she said. “I learned a lot about vegetable farming.”

“The skills I learned would enable me to help my parents back home,” said Richen Tshodron of Sonamthang Central School.

The students lent helping hands to farmers as part of the training, which helped the nearby villagers complete paddy transplantation on time.

“The long summer break has helped us both at home and in the fields,” said Nima Wangchuk, a villager.

“Earlier, the break was short, so the children weren’t able to help much,” said Karma Choden, another villager.

The RDTC in zhemgang says it conducts such training for the students twice a year.

“We teach them how to grow vegetables and fruits, and raise poultry and livestock during winter and summer breaks,” said Dorji Wangdi, the Programme Director of the RDTC.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube