A noble deed

Donating blood not only has potential health benefits but it is also a noble act that gains merit from the religious perception. With this notion most of the monks in Tango Sherdra donated their blood for the blood bank of Jigme Dorji Wangchuck National Referral Hospital.

Palden Tshering, 28, has been donating a unit of his blood since the programme started last year.

Palden is happy and aware that with the blood donation he will reap health benefits like regulation and control of the amount of iron content in his body. However, he is happier to know that his act could be helpful in saving the needy ones.

“I have not as such to give for the benefits of the sentient beings but my blood will and I pray it will help save a life,” said Palden Tshering.

Like Palden, about 150 monks came for the donation. Last year, about 170 monks took part in the programme.

One of the teachers from the Shedra said donating blood is also beneficial from the religious point of view. He said such donation is an act of one of the three alms as preached by the Buddhist teaching.

“For the well-being the sentient beings, Bodhisattvas give away even parts of their body but for us it is not possible. However, to be able to reach that stage as Bodhisattvas in times to come, blood donation is our first step,” said Nima, Teacher, Tango Shedra.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube