Her Majesty Queen Mother Sangay Choden Wangchuck graces National Design and Art Competition

Her Majesty Queen Mother Sangay Choden Wangchuck, graced the 22nd edition of the National Design and Art Competition and launched the exhibition at the Royal Textile Academy today. The competition is an annual event held to promote the country’s rich art and craft and to celebrate the craftsmanship and creativity that define Bhutan’s cultural heritage.

The 22nd National Design and Art Competition saw 76 entries from across the country this year. The participants competed in six different categories of weaving Gho and Kira, embroidery, traditional painting, sculpture and wood carving.

The competition was judged on the 20th and 21st of last month and the results were announced today.

“I participated in this competition as it will set an example for others and I also think participation is important. I am very grateful to the Queen Mother for the opportunity. I am happy that I participated and won,” said Karma Seldon, the winner of the Weaving Kira Category.

“I participated in this competition since it will benefit me in the future. I am very proud of myself and I hope to make new designs hereafter. I intend to continue embroidering,” said Pema Tshomo, the winner of the Embroidery Category.

“Usually, there is very little opportunity for us but when the Queen Mother gave us such an opportunity, I took it and participated. I am happy that I won and I owe it all to my parents and teachers. If we are given another opportunity like this, I plan to take part to boost our profession,” said Sonam Dorji, the winner of the Sculpture Category.

“Queen Mother Sangay Choden Wangchuck has provided artists a platform to showcase our skills and talent. This is my third time participating in this competition and this year, I won and I feel thrilled. To encourage and draw more inspiration, I will work on promoting and preserving our profession,” said Dawa Gyeltshen, the winner of the Wood Carving Category.

The top three winners in all six categories were awarded cash prizes of Nu 120,000, Nu 65,000, and Nu 32,500 respectively.

Meanwhile, the exhibition will be open to the public for two weeks starting today.

Deki Lhazom

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube