HRH Prince Jigyel Ugyen Wangchuck graces inauguration of Thimphu Aquatic Centre

His Royal Highness Prince Jigyel Ugyen Wangchuck graced the inauguration of the Thimphu Aquatic Centre in Thimphu today. The Ambassador of India to Bhutan, Sudhakar Dalela was also present. The centre is constructed in Babena which already has a skate park and a badminton stadium. The state-of-the-art centre has facilities that meet international standards and aims to provide the facilities needed to train national swimmers for international competitions.

Initially scheduled to be completed last year, the construction was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The aquatic centre has an eight-lane pool stretching over 25 metres. The centre also has changing rooms, bathrooms, office space and a cafeteria. It has been designed to accommodate over 200 spectators.

At the centre’s opening, the two national swimmers expressed their excitement as they will undergo their training at the centre.

“When I began swimming, there were no proper pools available. So, I had to resort to swimming in rivers. However, thanks to the Bhutan Olympic Committee and the World Aquatics, we now have a fantastic swimming pool. I am immensely grateful for this facility and hopeful that it will nurture future Olympians from Bhutan,” said Kinley Lhuendup, one of the national swimmers.

The other national swimmer, Sangay Tenzin said “When I first walked in the hall, the pool was nice. Hopefully, we can bring up more swimmers from this pool in Bhutan. And I would be very happy and honoured to bring up more swimmers.”

The Bhutan Olympic Committee said that the centre will open to the public from mid of next week.

Though the officials have yet to decide on the amount, the Bhutan Olympic Committee said that they will charge a minimal fee.

The Bhutan Olympic Committee officials added that while the centre aims to identify and train potential swimmers, its initial focus will be to promote swimming in the country by providing basic swimming training.

The construction of the Thimphu Aquatic Centre was funded by the Government of India, costing more than Nu 66 M.

Karma Samten Wangda

Edited by Tshering Zam 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube