Passport office issues travel document amid shortage of passport booklets

The passport division in Thimphu has run out of the ordinary passport booklet due to an overwhelming number of applicants in recent months. The office receives nearly 300 applicants every day. As a temporary measure, the office started issuing green travel documents since Saturday.

It is past 1 PM, lunch hour for the officials. But they are busy collecting applications from a long queue of applicants. The office normally accepts applications between 9 and 12 PM and issues passports after 2 PM.

The office has issued a staggering 19,000 passports in the last six months. Before the pandemic, the highest number of passports the division issued in a year was 13,000.

Due to the shortage of ordinary blue passport booklets, the office started issuing the green travel document. It is usually meant for those without a citizenship identity card. And in the last five days, the office has issued more than 8,000 travel documents.

“But the good thing is we have enough stock of travel documents which can easily last for six to seven months. So, we will be issuing Travel documents in place of Ordinary passports until our stock of Ordinary passports is refilled,” said Tshewang Dorji T, officiating Chief of Protocol at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Bhutan imports the Ordinary passport booklet from Germany and the division says the new stocks will arrive in October.

The green travel document is valid for up to five years whereas the Ordinary passport is valid for 10 years.

According to the division, the increasing number of Bhutanese sitting for the IELTS exam is one of the main reasons for the sudden rise in the numbers.

The office added the rumour that the government is restricting the issuance of the passport has also led to an increase in the number.

“As far as we are concerned there is no directive from the government to stop the issuance of the passport. Our job, the department of protocol is to facilitate. So, since the issue of the passport is a public service delivery we have to respond to people’s needs,” added the Officiating Chief of Protocol.

With the sudden rise in numbers and shortage of manpower, it has become difficult to issue the passport on time.

“I am told to come after seven days to get the passport so I came today. I applied for the passport to pursue higher education in Australia,” said Ugyen Wangchuk, a student.

“Last time when I came to submit my application for the passport, there were a lot of people. The office was crowded with applicants. I made a passport to apply for overseas employment opportunities,” said Yeshey Wangmo, another student.

And with many opting for better opportunities overseas, the number is only expected to increase.

Kelzang Choden

Edited by Phub Gyem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube