Drujeygang Menchhu overwhelmed with visitors

Medicinal water or Menchhu usually pull a crowd due to its ability to cure a variety of ailments and diseases. Today, the rise in popularity of outdoor recreation because of the pandemic has Menchhu overwhelmed with visitors. In Dagana, Drujeygang Menchhu sees an average of hundred people in a week.

The Menchhu known for curing multiple illnesses requires a ten-minute drive from Drujeygang Gewog centre towards Pangserpo chiwog. Since the Menchhu falls on the premises of Tashi Dargay Community Forest, the members of the community forest take care of it.

The medicinal water is piped from its source to a tank and then to a huge water heater. Families and individuals, come to the Menchhu mostly in the evening to heal if not to relax.

Pema Khandu, a visitor said, “I came from Tsirang and this is my fifth visit. I had knees and backaches. After soaking in the Menchhu, I feel better. It also helps to cure sinusitis.”

“Elderly people say, drinking the Menchhu cures gastritis and joint pains. It is also believed that it helps to gain eyesight and cure heart disease,” said Sangay Tenzin, an employee at Drujeygang Menchhu.

“Soaking in the hot Menchhu helps cure my swollen legs and other illnesses. So I often come here,” said a visitor, Deo Maya.

“Since both Gasa Tsachu and Gelephu are closed, we receive overwhelming visitors. Last time a family from Punakha brought a child with wounds on the lower parts of the body. The family spent a night soaking in the Menchhu. The wounds were healed drastically the next day,” said Sangay Choden, the Manager of Drujeygang Menchhu.

However, the lack of proper lighting has become a nuisance to visitors. People say the temporary power lines are touching the ground, risking the lives of both visitors and animals.

“We have submitted two applications for installation of permanent power line as soon as we start constructing facility here. I even requested the BPC Manager in Dagapela over the phone call. But we still haven’t got standard lighting at the site. It is risky, especially for free-roaming animals.” said Sangay Choden, the Manager.

Meanwhile, Bhutan Power Corporation’s official in Drujeygang said the pandemic affected importing electric poles. The officials said the proper lighting would be installed within this year.

Pema Tshewang, Dagana

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube