Skilling program to employ youths in community contract projects – Bumthang

Finding work might have become a little easier for the participants of a recent carpentry and plumbing skilling programme held at Tang Gewog in Bumthang. The Department of Local Governance which conducted the programme aims to reinforce the implementation of community contract practice in gewogs through such trainings. Accordingly, participants will be given priority when there are community contracts in the gewog.

The 24 participants were divided into two classes of carpentry and plumbing courses. Most of them are high school and university graduates who are either unemployed or who’ve lost their jobs due to the pandemic.

Instructors from the Chhumig Technical Training Institute taught them basic carpentry and plumbing skills. They have now formed groups and got registered with the gewog office to take part in community contract works.

“Except for three of us, there aren’t many female participants. Most women doubt themselves on if they can deliver as much as the men but with time and experience,I think we can be as good as men,” said Dechen Zangmo, one of the participants.

“Now that I am home, I get a whole new experience of rural life. It feels good to be away from the city. And with this training, now I can construct kitchens, toilets and install geysers,” said Kencho Thinley, another participant.

“These days due to the difficulties in bringing in foreign workers into the country for construction works, I took part in the training thinking this would be a great opportunity for us to get employed in the construction sector,” said Pema Losel, another participant.

As a part of their practical class, the participants built a toilet for a needy family in Tang. The Helvetas Swiss Inter-cooperation office is funding the programme.

The local governance department is focusing on employing youths through community contract projects in developing their own communities.The department will also conduct a similar training at Kanglung Gewog in Trashigang later this year.

Kipchu, Bumthang

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube