Victims of Unipay2u still cry foul

The victims of Unipay2u, an online scam, in Monggar Dzongkhag are not happy with the justice delivered after an investigation by the government. They say the main people who were involved in the scam are still free.

The scam, which came through Samdrupjongkhar in May 2010, was investigated by a team comprising of Anti-Corruption Commission, Royal Monetary Authority, Office of the Attorney General and the Royal Bhutan Police.

The detailed investigative report along with recommendations was presented to the government. Following the report the cabinet directed that appropriate actions must be taken by the concerned agencies.

The Royal Civil Service Commission was asked to warn all the civil servants who were involved, farmers to be advised by the Dzongkhag administration, Bhutan Chamber of Commerce and Industry to advise businessmen involved and corporate managements to warn and advise their employees.

However, the legacy of Unipay2u still continues to frustrate the people in Monggar. The Dzongkhag was the worst affected, with total investment of over Nu. 19.5 million. “I invested the money from my left over loan, which I took it from the bank, thinking that it would help me in recovering my loans,” said Aum Dechen Choden.

“We were shown in the internet,” said Tshewang Rinzin, “that we will be getting double the money in 10 months.”  He added that he invested Nu. 1,60,000 in the  name of his three daughters.

“We were told that it’s just like a company’s share and said that is a gold company. We were told that we will get gold if we want and otherwise, we will get Nu. 200,000 for Nu. 100,000 in 10 months. So, since we have loans to recover, I invested,” said Tashi Dema.

Some still keep secret from their spouses for the fear of breaking up their relations.

Now who did they give their money to?

They accused a couple in Monggar town, Harka Man Gurung and Budhi Maya Rai, who spread this scam and collected from them. Although there is no written evidence they said they have many witnesses. Some they have written agreements, videos and voice recordings as a proof, but they would not show for the fear of being questioned on legality of such doings.

“He is taking rents and doing huge businesses, so if his accounts could be audited by the government, I think it will be good. I know we cannot directly accuse him since there were many involved,” said Tshewang Rinzin.

“We handed over the money to him, even the installments were returned by him,” said another, Tashi Dema.

However, according to the wife of the accused they are also equal victims of the scam. She said they have not collected any money from the people. She also said that they don’t own any property as people suspected.

According to investigation report, Harka Man Gurung was one of the initial investors and he was sentenced to 3 years, non-bailable, by the Trashigang District Court. However, on appeal, the High Court released him on bail and ordered for withdrawal from the prosecution as it lacked legal basis and evidence to proof beyond reasonable doubt.

A total of 513 Bhutanese- 218 civil servants, 180 business people, 104 farmers, 27 monks and 10 corporate employees in the 12 Dzongkhags were affected. The net loss incurred by these people was about Nu. 50 million of the total of about Nu. 71 million invested.

Top Stories

Related Stories

17 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube