A lone tailor in Dorokha teaching tailoring to other women

In business, you keep what you know to yourself to enjoy a monopoly and maximise your profit. But 29-year-old Leki Wangmo, the lone tailor of Dorokha town in Samtse, has a different approach. She believes that knowledge only increases when it is shared. Today, despite enjoying the monopoly of tailoring business in the town, Leki is helping the Dorokha Dungkhag in producing more tailors. As part of the community learning centre programme, she is currently teaching some 18 women the basics of tailoring.

During the day, Leki Wangmo runs a tailoring shop in Dorokha town. With the help of her sister and brother-in-law, Leki started the tailoring business in 2017. Today, her business is thriving.

“I think I am the first person in Dorokha to open a tailoring shop here. For now, there is no shortage of customers here. I get a lot of businesses and at times it becomes difficult for me to attend to all of my customers.”

Leki assumes a different role in the evening. She becomes a teacher and helps women master the basics of tailoring.

Barely a month into their training, her students who are mostly Non-Formal Education trainees have already learned a lot.

“For now, I know how to stitch pants and small bags. With time, I am getting more confident. And I am sure if we are provided with more time, we will be able to learn more,” said Tuku Maya Kafley, a trainee.

Initially, we had a tough time mastering the foot movement that is needed to use the machine. But as we practised more, we were able to learn it. Once I complete the training, I am planning to start a small tailor shop in the town as well.

“The skills that we get here will not only be helpful to open a tailor shop in the town but I think, it will also help mothers like me to stitch clothes for our children. Children play a lot and always return home with torn clothes,” added Lemo, also a trainee.

Most of her students plan to open tailoring shops in the town. This could mean competition in the market. However, for Leki, making a difference in someone’s life matters more than enjoying the lack of competition in the market.

“I feel happy that I can share what I know with others. There are a few of them who have even become better than me. I tell them that it is good and they should continue to learn it. They have been showing great interest and that is what keeps me going,” she said.

She is also planning to recruit a few of her students for her shop.

Leki also plans to teach her students to stitch Gho, Kira, Tego, and traditional paintings (Kuthang) soon. Currently, due to the border closure, access to tailoring accessories is a challenge.

However, the Dungkhag office looks forward to solving the matter soon. The three-month-long basic tailoring course is initiated by the Dorokha Drungkhag in collaboration with the Education sector.

Passang Dorji, Samtse

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube