Trashigang’s Khaling Gewog continues sacred Jomo-Dangling Soelkha tradition

The tradition of Jomo-Dangling Soelkha, a feast offering festival in honour of the local deities Ama Jomo and Meme Dangling, continues to this day in Trashigang’s Khaling Gewog. This age-old tradition is meant to seek protection for their community. The feast is offered twice a year. Although there are no written records, it is believed that the tradition began some 1,200 years ago.

The Khaling community gathers at Jadrung Lhakang to collect the attire, jewellery and weapons of Ama Jomo and Meme Dangling from the Goenkhang. Only the local shaman can handle the belongings from the Goenkhang.

After that, people march towards Jomo Dogsa, believed to be a resting place for Ama Jomo and Meme Dangling on their way back from their winter residence in the south.

People believe that Ama Jomo and Meme Dangling who are siblings, spend their winter months in warmer areas in the southern foothills.

In summer, the soelkha falls on every 14th day of the fourth month while in winter it is marked on the 14th day of the tenth month of the Bhutanese calendar.

The community gathers twice to make offerings for the deities’ journey for summer residence at Jomo Dogsa and mark the arrival of the deities from their summer residence.

At Jomo Dogsa, the community prepares the deities with their masks, attire and weapons. There is even a stone believed to have been used by Ama Jomo and Meme Dangling, which is kept under protection.

Dorji, an 89-year-old shaman leads the feast offering and serves brewed wine to the local deities, seeking protection for the people and the community.

“I started offering feast when I was young, I was attached as a helper with my father as he was taking care of this Lhakhang. Now, Tenzin will continue this tradition. I have been training him for a year and this will be my last time leading the feast.”

“We have been offering Soelkha since I was small, and we have never missed a year. It is our tradition to offer Soelkha annually to our local deity. Those who cannot come here send money and in return, we give them some tshog and wine,” said Jambay, a resident.

“Our grandparents have told us that if we don’t offer Soelkha on time that is on the 14th day of the fourth month in the Bhutanese calendar, our community will face disasters. These could include untimely rainfall affecting crops and even casualties. This is why, we always ensure that we perform the ritual as scheduled,” said Sonam Dorji, Khaling Gup.

After completing the offering, locals and students gather to receive the blessings. Then, they march back to the Lhakhang.

The local community has traditionally organised the soeklha. However, this is the second time it has been organised by Khaling Samdrup Goenpung Lhakhang in collaboration with the community.

Ama Jomo and Meme Dangling are the most revered guardian deities of Khaling Gewog.

Sonam Darjay, Trashigang

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube