NC not happy with government’s response on the review of RNR Marketing Policy

Some members of the National Council, yesterday shared their dissatisfaction with the government’s response concerning the recommendation on the review of the Renewable Natural Resources (RNR) Marketing Policy.

The review was carried out to resolve marketing issues and to have a comprehensive understanding of the RNR Marketing policy, implementation status, and its effectiveness.

The Natural Resources and Environment Committee of the House presented the follow-up reports on the resolution passed by the House on the RNR marketing policy in the last session.

The house had submitted five recommendations. The recommendations were making Multi-Sectoral Committee functional, establishing adequate marketing infrastructure, enhancing collaboration amongst relevant stakeholders, and implementing the findings of the market studies. Disseminating market information effectively and expediting CSI loan approval were also some of the recommendations submitted by the house.

However, some of the members expressed dissatisfaction with the response received particularly on three of the recommendations.

“I am not at all satisfied with the government’s response on the first recommendation saying that they have not been able to conduct the Multi-Sectoral Committee meeting. Considering the current pandemic situation and the interest shown by farmers to grow more, the meeting should be conducted once every month rather than a quarterly meeting. But going by the response received from the ministry, I am worried how I will be able to answer the people in my constituency,” said Surjaman Thapa, the Dagana MP.

“Rather than focusing on a short-term solution to a problem, the relevant ministry and the government should focus on solving the issue of the stranded problem of fresh produce export thoroughly by changing policies and regulations. The solution should not only be applicable during the times of pandemic but also after the pandemic,” added Sangay Dorji, the Chhukha MP.

“As per CSI bank, they provide loans for micro-businesses within 10 days and other loans are provided within 21 days. But what I feel is, only 10 per cent of people might be getting the loan within this time. 90 per cent of the people are still struggling to get their loans on time,” said Ugyen Tshering, MP, Paro.

The House directed the Natural Resources and Environment Committee to re-deliberate with the concerned members and resolve accordingly.

Choni Dema and Kelzang Choden

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube