Government to propose waiving import tax on sanitary products

The government’s plan to propose waiving the 30 per cent import tax on sanitary products during this parliament session is welcomed by many. Prime Minister Dr Lotay Tshering announced the initiative today coinciding with the International Menstrual Hygiene Day. 

According to the Prime Minister, the sanitary products which are imported from the third country are more expensive compared to those which are imported from India due to the import tax. Lyonchhen said if the government do away with the current 30 per cent tax on sanitary products, all the menstrual products imported from third countries will be as cheap as those imported from India.

24-year-old Monita Rai has been working as a salesperson for almost five years now. She says menstrual products are one of the fastest-selling products in the store where she is working. In a month they sell almost Nu 40,000 worth of sanitary products. However, she says the customer prefer India made sanitary pads as it is cheaper compared to those imported from the third countries.

Today, the store can sell only 10 per cent of sanitary products which are imported from third countries.

“Compared to sanitary products from Bangkok, people mostly opt for Indian made since menstrual products from India are cheaper than from Bangkok. Yes, people prefer Bangkok products but they cannot afford them because of the price. If we see the quality also, Bangkok products are very good, it’s soft. If government exempts the tax, people can go for Bangkok-made sanitary products and I think we can sell Bangkok products like Indian products,” said Monita Rai.

Likewise, a shopkeeper also echoed the same.

“The sanitary pads from India are way cheaper than from Bangkok. That’s why I don’t keep Bangkok’s stocks and people also don’t ask for them. If the prices drop in the future then I might keep Bangkok pads as well,” added Kumari Ghalley, a shopkeeper in Thimphu.

Today, on average, the country imports more than 400,000 sanitary products every year. The highest was last year with almost 800,000.

Pema Seldon Tshering

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube