Thromde voters go to polls to select Thrompons and Tshogpas- Thromde Elections

Rapid urbanisation has aggravated issues such as drinking water shortage and scarce car parking spaces in most of the thromde areas. With hopes and expectations to select a leader who will solve the rising issues, thousands of people came out to vote in the third Thromde elections today.

As the capital state, the biggest town in the country, Thimphu is home to over 100,000 people. And almost 90 per cent of its population is based in urban areas. This has enveloped the town with many issues. Residents of Thimphu who are eligible voters came to their constituency polling stations to select their choice.

“I came here today to vote for the best candidate. We hope that they will solve the problems of people after they come to power. I feel that with the increasing number of vehicles every day, traffic congestion is of the main problems. If Thromde could construct flyover bridges and remove the pedestrian crossings, it would minimise traffic and also reduce risks,” said Karma Namgay, a voter in Thimphu.

“I really hope that the selected Thrompon would solve our problems. One of the main problems people are facing right now is water shortage and insufficient car parking space,” added Sonam Dorji.

Over 8,000 people in Thimphu registered for voting in the seven constituencies. Similarly, voters in Gelegphu came out in droves with the same hopes.

“There are water problems, land disputes and roads need to be blacktopped. I hope all these issues will be addressed,” said Om Prasad Gurung, a voter in Gelegphu.

There are more than 1,500 voters in the six constituencies of Gelegphu.

Meanwhile, voters in Phuentshogling have already cast their votes through the mobile postal ballot services considering the lockdown situation in the thromde.

The eligible voters in the three thromdes also voted for their Thromde Tshogpas. The three Thromde Tshogdes completed the five-year term on February 26.

Tshering Dendup

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube