Biogas use getting popular in Dorokha, Samtse

Methane gas from livestock manure is considered 24 times more potent as a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. According to experts, it is responsible for about 23 per cent of climate change in the 20th century. However, in what is considered a win-win situation, methane can be turned into a fuel that will also take carbon out of the air at the same time. In Dorokha, Samtse, the farmers are doing exactly that by churning cow dung into natural biogas. 

The construction of more household digesters reduces the demand for firewood and Liquified Petroleum Gas cylinders which helps in reducing greenhouse gas emissions. For almost a decade now, the Samtse district has been incentivising farmers to install biogas.

The number of biogas users has doubled to 420 at present in over a year in the dungkhag. Loknath Dhakal is the latest in the dungkhag to construct a biogas digester.

“I thought we could cut down on our firewood consumption and wouldn’t have to spend a lot on LPG cylinders. That is why I am having a biogas digester installed. Moreover, we raise cattle, so it makes sense. I could see other villagers reaping the benefits, and that got me interested in biogas use. So, I consulted with the livestock office and started the construction,” he said.

Including the gas stove, the gewog provides materials for the construction of biogas like metal fittings and pipes. The gewog also bears wages for the masons and costs for buying cement. In total, about Nu 25,000 worth of support is given to the people to install biogas in their homes.

Elsewhere, words about the benefits of biogas is fast spreading. Devi Bakta Rizal, who is among the few skilled biogas masons, takes every opportunity he gets to advocate about biogas use and its benefits.

“Our firewood consumption during summer has reduced by 75 per cent. This is one benefit. On the other hand, villagers raise cattle anyway, so the dungs produced can be used both for the biogas digester and as manure to grow vegetables,” said Devi Bakta Rizal, a Biogas Mason in Dorokha.

“Biogas is beneficial. Everyone in the villages should install it. Unlike firewood, it doesn’t affect our eyes since it doesn’t produce smoke. Even while cooking, it doesn’t produce heat like a firewood stove, which is difficult during summer. People will also raise cattle when they have a biogas digester. In villages, if people raise cattle, this is another source of manure,” said Krishna Maya Gurung, a farmer in Dophuchhen Gewog under Dorokha.

A digester requires an initial feeding of about 1,500 kilograms of cow dung mixed with urine and water. After that, daily feeding of about 15 kilograms is required depending on the size of the digester.

“People can easily meet the daily dung requirement. Each household has three to four cattle on average, and two cattle give about 10 kilograms of dung in a night. Three would make 15 kilograms. Along with dung, those who have cattle shed with cement floor can collect urine and use it along with the dung. So, there is no shortage of dung,” said Khem Nath Rizal, the Sr Livestock Production Supervisor in Dorokha Dungkhag.

The Dorokha Dungkhag, along with the gewogs, plans to reach biogas to more rural homes.

“We aim to increase the number of biogas users every year. So, we have set a target of achieving 60-70 per cent of households in the villages to have biogas. This would be a success for us, and this is where we are concentrating our efforts,” said Karma Jurmi, the Dorokha Dungpa.

Today, Samtse district boasts of having over 1,000 functional biogas plants, with 80 new plants constructed every year.

Sherub Dorji, Samtse  

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube