NA expresses dissatisfaction with the BCCI’s status report by MoEA

Most Members of the Parliament (MP) expressed their dissatisfaction with the report of the status and responsibilities of Bhutan Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI) presented by the Economic Affairs Minister, Loknath Sharma.

As a follow up to the resolutions of the Second Session of the Third Parliament, the Minister for Economic Affairs, presented the report on the Status and the Responsibilities of BCCI to the House today. Economic Affairs Minister shared that Private Sector Development Committee (PSDC) was established under the BCCI with majority members from Private Sectors last year and that the Ministry will sign Annual Performance Agreement with BCCI from the next financial year.

“They have come up with a way forward on how they will go about in bridging the gap between private sectors and the government. We have also placed the PSDC under the BCCI. We will also sign the Annual Performance Agreement (APA) just as we do between government organisations. From the next financial year that is June, we will sort things out and make clear responsibilities that they will have to shoulder through APA,” said Loknath Sharma, the Economic Affairs Minister.

To the presentation on the report, most members of the parliament shared that the report is not up to the expectation of the House.

“Personally when I went through the report, It is vague and no specific way forward is mentioned. It has been seven months since the last session, and only PSDC under BCCI and APA signing is specified. And APA is yet to be signed. The report is not that much clear. The wow factor is not there,” said Wangchuk Namgyel, the Speaker of the National Assembly.

“I am not content with the report because I do not see BCCI’s sustainable future plans and programmes in the report. I was hoping that the Minister would present the report based on the plans and programmes that will enable BCCI to stand as an independent organisation,” added Dupthob, the Bomdeling Jamkhar MP.

“If the work of BCCI is not productive, I feel that the government should not support them. The current grant should also be not given. Even after 30 years, If they cannot sustain on their own, for how long they will find ways to sustain? If they perform well and if they sustain, members will also take part under the BCCI programmes and from the membership fees, they will be able to sustain,” shared Dr Tandi Dorji, the Foreign Affairs Minister.

The Economic Affairs Minister also reported, that the establishment of Financial System, Internal Audit System, Planning Framework and Rules of Procedure between the Ministry of Economic and BCCI are still ongoing and the Legislative Officers from the Cabinet Offices are assisting BCCI with it.

After intense deliberation, the National Assembly today directed the Ministry to consider the opinions expressed in the House while continuing the work with the BCCI.

The BCCI was established under the Royal Command of His Majesty The King in 1980 and is a non-profit organisation consisting of members from the business community in the country, and is the apex body of the private sector in Bhutan.

Tshering Dendup

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube