Winter vegetables without a market- Zhemgang

Following encouragement from the Dzongkhag Agriculture Sector, farmers in Zhemgang took up growing winter vegetables around four years ago. However, after all the dedication and hard work, farmers are today facing difficulty in marketing their vegetables.

A Memorandum of Understanding was also signed with the Dzongkhag and gewog offices.

Fields are filled with fresh vegetables at one of the winter vegetable farms in Trong Gewog. Sonam Chopel from Berti village who owns the farm says finding a market for his vegetables has become a serious issue.

“We got the seeds from the agriculture extension office for free and it boosted our interest in farming but after all the hard work and good yield, we can’t find a market now. My vegetables are getting ready for harvest and I am getting worried,” said Sonam Chopel, from Berti under Trong in Zhemgang.

Similarly, many farmers also took up winter farming collectively over the years but they fear they may have to give up farming if the issue is not resolved.

“If we take the vegetables to Gelegphu and Thimphu, it won’t be profitable for us because imported vegetables are much cheaper. So I decided not to take mine to the urban towns as I would not be able to make any money. But now I don’t know what to do. I thought of selling the vegetables to the schools but they have got their own suppliers. I think it will rot here in the fields only,” he added.

As part of the winter vegetables programme, farmers in Zhemgang started growing cabbage, broccoli, radish and cauliflower during the winter.

Meanwhile the Dzongkhag Agriculture officials did not comment on the issue.

Pema Samdrup

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube