LG leaders want a domestic airport in Monggar to promote tourism

To promote tourism in the eastern region, local leaders during the recent Dzongkhag Tshogdu again proposed a need for a domestic airport at Pema Choling in Monggar.

The requirement of a domestic airport was already discussed during the earlier sessions and a resolution was also submitted to the Parliament but there was no response.

Local leaders said as Yonphula Domestic Airport is not reliable during summer, it is high time to have a domestic airport in Monggar. Home Minister Dasho Sherub Gyeltshen who is from Monggar also promised to construct a domestic airport in Monggar gewog during the election campaign.

“As some of the villagers from my gewog are asking me about the status of establishing a domestic airport in the gewog, I would like to raise the concern in the Dzongkhag Tshogdu on behalf of my people,” informed Tenzin Wangchuk, the Monggar Gewog Gup.

The Weringla Dungpa, Tashi Tenzin suggested moving the project to Yangbari in Gongdue gewog if the project is not feasible at the current location:

“Coming up of domestic airport at Yangbari would not only benefit the people of Monggar but also benefit other eastern districts including Zhemgang if the bypass is connected from Sherichu to Kuri-Gongri in Monggar. Moreover, Yangabri also lies just 30 minutes away from the Indo Bhutan border. So I am proposing it as an alternative option.”

But some locals are not really convinced about the idea since it has been discussed for years. Dasho Sherub Gyeltshen in a phone call said that the government is looking into the survey and feasibility studies carried out by previous governments and it would take some time for the project to kickoff. After long deliberation, the meeting decided to write to concerned ministries and the parliament.

Sonam Tshering

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube