Green number plates for Electric Vehicles

As Bhutan advances towards promoting low emission urban transport, a separate number plate for Electric Vehicles was introduced on October 31. Its background colour will be green recognising the vehicle as environment-friendly.

Yab Dondup Gyalthsen graced the launch ceremony.

The move is a low-cost way of encouraging people to switch to Electric Vehicles and contribute to keeping Bhutan a carbon-negative country. Currently, there are 103 electric vehicles in the country.

“I think it’s time now to promote electrical vehicles in Bhutan. The world is changing; all the countries are moving towards electric cars and I think we should not be left behind. Also, because we are known as champions of the environment. We have received a lot of awards. We are well known all over. I think for our self also it is very important to have electric cars in the country so that there will be a reduction in carbon emission,” Pemba Wangchuk, the RSTA’s Director-General, said.

The initiative is part of the project, Bhutan Sustainable Low-emission Urban Transport Systems. The three-year-long project offers incentives including financial support to those wanting to switch to Electric Vehicles.

“We have different incentives like the Royal Monetary Authority has also allowed us to avail around up to 70 per cent loan if we want to import electric cars. On the quota system, if you are eligible for quota, if you want to buy electric cars you will get more money if you monetise it. We are also in discussion with Thromde, trying to see if we can give some concession in parking fees to electric cars,” the Director-General added.

In particular, the project plans to have 300 electric vehicle taxis in Thimphu by 2021. To this effect, it will provide a subsidy grant of US$ 5,500 on purchase of every electric vehicle taxi.

“I have been driving an electric car for the last four years. I think it has an edge in terms of maintenance over other types of cars. The overall expenditure is cheaper as well,” Chencho Wangchuk, a Taxi Driver, said.

Initially, the project will also support the installation of 15 to 18 fast-charging stations in six western districts.

The Ministry of Information and Communications is implementing the Bhutan Sustainable Low-emission Urban Transport Systems project in partnership with UNDP Bhutan and funding support from the Global Environment Facility. It is worth US$ 3 M.

Choni Dema

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube