Long waiting hours for patients at Tsirang Hospital

Waiting for long hours in a queue to see doctors in the Tsirang District Hospital is the common complaint of almost every person visiting the hospital.  

It is around quarter to noon. Like any other day in Tsirang Hospital, the queue of patients waiting to see the doctor stretches through the hallway. Some elderly patients make use of the available benches while waiting.

One of them is 72-year-old Rann Maya Khatti. Like many other patients, she arrived at the hospital as early as 8 am but is yet to meet the doctor.

“It must be due to fewer doctors. We were told that the doctor was attending a meeting and just came in. We have been waiting for the doctor since morning. We are hungry and thirsty. I have problems with my legs I cannot stand for long hours. I don’t have an attendant as well. It is tiring,” she said.

Like her, other patients shared similar views.

“Our village is quite far from the hospital so we came early at around 8:30 am. We have been waiting since then. Besides the people of Tsirang’s 12 gewogs, the hospital caters to patients from Dagana as well. That is why the number of patients is high here. If we have to do a blood test then it is inconvenient. We are not able to see the doctor until noon. So, for the test, we have to come again the next day,” Prakash Kumar Chhetri from Kilkhorthang, said.

“I have gout. So I am not able to stand in line for long. Looking at the line, I think it will take another two hours or more before I can meet the doctor. I cannot leave as well otherwise I will have to come again tomorrow,” Sahib Bir Rai from Changchey, said.

“The number of people visiting the hospital is on the rise. Moreover, those travelling towards Thimphu or Gelegphu also visit the hospital during emergencies. In today’s case, it is almost noon now and the doctor just arrived. We learned that doctors go on official tours leaving just one of them here. This delays service delivery,” Phurba from Damphu, said.

Today, there are three medical doctors in the hospital which, according to its Chief Medical Officer, is adequate.

“When all three of us are here, there is no problem. One doctor will do the ward round and the other two will cater to the OPD patients. But today, my friends are not here. So, I had to first do the ward round from 9 am and these days, we have many patients admitted. By the time I reached my chamber, it was almost noon. This is how I got late but it is not the case always,” Dr Tshering Penjor, the Chief Medical Officer, said.

The situation is, however, expected to improve. The hospital is looking forward to receiving a gynaecologist which will ease the patient load. Its management is also considering the introduction of a token system by December this year. With this, patients will not have to stand in queue and wait like today.

Namgay Wangchuk

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube