Everyone wants a piece of Gang JhuNa, a Cordeycep land

Bumthang and Wangdue Phodrang might have to decide the precise boundary demarcation of a place called Gang JhuNa, located between the two districts. The issue was raised by the Chhoekhor Gewog in Bumthang during the 6th Dzongkhag Tshogdu (DT) held yesterday.

The place is about three to four-day journey on foot from Lubzur under Sephu Gewog in Wangdue and from Bumthang, it is a half-day journey from Dhur village.

Both the people from Bumthang and Wangdue currently collect Cordeyceps from this place. But people are not clear about the district’s boundary in that area.

“Locals from our village complained to the forestry officials that the people from Sephu come there too. But when they are inspected Sephu people also showed cordyceps collection permit. The other is that they have to travel via our Dhur village so gewog have reports of them littering and creating problems in the village,” Sangay Thinley, the Chhoekhor Mangmi, said.

Despite extensive deliberation, the Tshogdu couldn’t resolve the issue and decided to forward it to the coming parliament session.

“If such issues are confined to villages and Geowgs, the district could be addressed. But it is between the dzongkhags, so the district-to-district authority should negotiate. It has to be negotiated through the parliament,” Jampel, the DT chairperson, said.

“Since I am hearing the issue for the first time as raised today in the Tshogdu, I will have to discuss the issue with the Dzongkhag and Gewog Administration of Wangdue to talk about the issue. I am sure there might be clear boundary demarcation between the Dhur in Bumthang and Sephu in Wangdue,” Passang Dorji, the Bumthang Dzongdag, said.

Meanwhile, it is also learnt that people from Trongsa access to the place from Thangyul in Nubi Gewog during cordyceps collection season.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube