Racing against cancer, survivors’ stories

In our mentality, cancer is a synonym of death.  A normal person would usually enter into a state of trauma if they are diagnosed with cancer. The same happened to Yeewong Lhamo when she was just a thirteen year old. However, she mustered up her courage and fought the disease with all she could. 

She is now a happy cancer survivor, completed her class twelve last year and was one of the motivational speakers yesterday at the “Walk the Talk-Racing against cancer” event.

At 13 years of age, she was diagnosed with Leukaemia a type of blood cancer. She was taken to Kolkata in India for treatment. Yeewong said she underwent cycles of painful chemotherapy with a warrior mentality. After six long months fight, she defeated cancer and now a healthy cheerful girl.

“Initially I was devastated and heartbroken when I was diagnosed with cancer. My parents supported me very much during those difficult times. I was even more devastated at the thought of discontinuing my studies due to the disease. Slowly I decided to open up and talk to cancer survivors and those living with one. It was one of the best decisions I ever took as I got inspired hearing from those survivors,” Yeewong Lhamo, a cancer survivor said.

“I want to ask everyone not to be afraid of cancer. If detected early, It is like the common flu. It has a cure if one does it at the right time. I am a living proof of that. I went for treatment to Calcutta because there was none in Bhutan at that time. I thank the Health ministry for that.”

Just like Yeewong, a 52-year-old nun has also fought breast cancer and has survived gracefully. Bidha went to check her growing mole on her upper body and eventually found out that it was cancer.

“When we don’t feel well and even if we have small pores or irritation, I request everyone to visit the hospital. To get cancer, you don’t need big wounds or pimples all over. We don’t also fall sick severely when we get cancer,” Bidha, also a cancer survivor added.

During the event, Prime Minister Dr Lotay Tshering also informed the public gathering that cervical cancer is the most prevalent and that it is preventable, detectable and curable if one came forward for a timely check-up.

June month is observed as Cancer Survivor Month annually. To celebrate the survivors, to encourage those undergoing treatment and to mourn for those loved ones lost to cancer, Bhutan Cancer Society with support from the health ministry and partners organized the event.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube