Senior Citizens Card launched by Royal Society for Senior Citizens

The 8th Annual General meeting for the Royal Society for Senior Citizens was held in Thimphu yesterday. The meeting is expected to sort out issues and challenges faced by the senior citizens. Senior citizens card was also launched during the meeting.

Over 50 members who have retired from the service took part in the meeting. Members were given their senior citizen card. The card is expected to benefit the members immensely.

“We have decided to launch a senior citizens card so that where ever they go they can show if required, that they are over the age of 60 and a member of the Royal Society for Senior Citizens. With this card they can reap the benefit of being a senior citizen like getting a discount on Air tickets, not having to stay in a queue at the banks and public service centres. The government has agreed to form a separate special window when they go for check up. With this card, they can now access the quick service. That’s one of the advantages of issuing the senior citizens’ card,” Dago Tshering, Former Lyonpo, President, Royal Society for Senior citizens, said.

Apart from that senior citizens are also provided priority seats in public transports and a separate line during elections.

Dorji Tshering a former Director General with the Department of Traditional medicine shared his experience. He said the meeting was informative about life after retirement. He joined as a member in 2016.

“I have been a member of Royal Society for Senior Citizens for about three and a half years. I have learnt how to cope with life after retirement; this was very useful for me. I could interact. We have been sharing our own problems among ourselves, and also looking into ways to try and help other senior citizens,” Dorji Tshering, Member, Senior citizen, said.

The Royal Society for Senior Citizen was formed in 2011 and at present, there are about 200 members from across the country.

Anyone who has reached the age of 60 years is considered as a senior citizen and can join as a member of Royal Society for Senior Citizens. Initially to be a member a person has to pay a fee of Nu.300 for registration and Nu.1800 as an annual registration fee which needs to be renewed annually.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube