Wangdue’s Tashi Dorji elected as Chairperson and SJ’s Jigme Wangchuk as Deputy Chairperson

(L-R: NC Chairperson Tashi Dorji & Deputy Chairperson Jigme Wangchuk)

The National Council elect member of Wangdue Phodrang Tashi Dorji has just been elected as the new Chairperson of the National Council. Third time NC elect member of Samdrup Jongkhar, Jigme Wangchuk, is the new Deputy Chairperson.

Securing a resounding 11 of the 25 votes, Tashi Dorji, beat five other contenders to secure the NC Chairperson’s seat. This is Tashi Dorji’s second term in office.

“I can’t just feel happy and rejoice, rather I now need to worry about how to run the house smoothly, and this is my priority,” he said.

The five other NC elect members who contested for the post of the chairperson are Bumthang’s Nima, Chhukha’s Sangay Dorji, Thimphu’s Tshewang Rinzin, Trashigang’s Lhatu and Zhemgang’s Pema Dakpa.

NC elect member of Samdrup Jongkhar Jigme Wangchuk secured 13 votes. “Our work will not be so easy. The previous Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson have set a strong precedent,” Jigme Wangchuk said.

“We don’t have to do anything differently. We just have to grow in the position and continue the good work.”

Two other NC elect members who contested for the post of the Deputy Chairperson are Haa’s Ugyen Namgay and Trongsa’s Tashi Samdrup.

Meanwhile, the National Council Secretariat informed that all five eminent members have been re-appointed to the National Council by His Majesty The King for another term in office.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube