Painstakingly long wait for landowners of Tungkutenpa Township

The wait has been prolonging for the landowners of Tungkutenpa Township in Panbang. They are yet to get the approval for going ahead with construction activities. And this delay, they claim is costing them.

After Tungkutenpa Township was identified for developing a town in 2013, Bothpa, 65 also started planning to construct a house on his plot in the area. In 2015, he collected raw materials such as sands, timber, and stones. But much to his dismay, the construction never started and today the raw materials remain covered in bushes.

“Talks have been going there for 15 years and till date nothing has materialised. It has been three years since I gathered timber and other raw materials at the site. Now the timber have started to decay. I don’t think I can use it anymore,” said Bothpa.

With authorities yet to approve construction activities in the area, Bothpa and his family have been living in a hut. Bothpa says without a permanent structure to live in, life is difficult, especially in summer, when the region experiences extreme heat and rainfall.

“My plan was to live on the top floor of my new house but they did not allow me to go ahead with the construction. I am forced to live in this hut which is risky. We have to live in constant fear of snakes and wild animals entering our hut,” added Bothpa.

Like him, there are 19 others waiting for the approval of the town planning. According to Zhemgang Dzongkhag Administration, the Works and Human Settlement Ministry has completed the survey of the area, and its structural designs and layouts. The final draft is yet to be approved. They said to ensure the town planning benefits people for all times to come, it had to be properly looked into.

Tungkutenpa town was planned with an aim of expanding the existing Panbang town. Located along the Panbang-Gongphu highway, it is about two and a half kilometres away from the town.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube