RIM suspends diploma courses

RIMStopsDiplomaCourseClass XII graduates are losing one of their in-country study opportunities as the Royal Institute of Management in Thimphu suspends admission for Diploma courses, beginning this year.

The Institute says there is no demand for the diploma holders in the market.

Nearly 300 students are undergoing diploma courses in the Royal Institute of Management in Thimphu today. They will be the last batch.

The institute offers diploma in Financial Management, National Law and Information Management System.

Many who wanted to pursue diploma courses are disappointed with the move.

“I am interested in studying diploma in financial management but Royal Institute of Management is not open for admission. So I don’t know where I am supposed to go,” said a class XII graduate, Reena Upreti.

Another graduate, Leki Bumpa said he graduates from Zhemgang Central School in 2015. “I did not qualify for further studies but thought of applying for Diploma in Financial Management. I called my friends and came to know that admission is closed.”

RIM’s Director General, Thinley Namgyal said they received directive from the RCSC to study demand analysis of the diploma courses with the stakeholders. “We have done stakeholder analysis and discussed among ourselves and found that there is not much demand in the market. And then we thought for one to two years we will withhold and later if they demand or if government demand we will again give such types of training.”

This means, demand for the diploma graduates in the market has saturated and many graduates are still unemployed after completing their diploma courses from the institute.

Over 1,000 students graduated from the institute since 1997.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube