India does not have surplus power: Sujata Mehta

India does not have surplus power-Sujata Mehta--India’s external affairs secretary, Sujata Mehta, who was in the country, said India does not have surplus power. She said India, in fact, is desperately short of energy.

India does not have surplus power-Sujata Mehta-Her statement comes in the wake of media reports, which had quoted India’s power minister saying India has excess power.

The reports had led to several rounds of discussions in Bhutan since its hydropower development’s objective is to sell surplus power to India.

Sujata Mehta, during a site visit to Punatshangchhu Hydropower Project Authority I and II said India is looking to maximise sources of energy. She said with their population size, having power surplus is a distant dream.

“I don’t think there is any issue at all, as far as the projects, which are being done in collaboration between Bhutan and India are concerned.”
She said an inter-government agreement that exists confirms that India will purchase surplus power generated by Bhutan. “India guarantees that we will purchase it.”

Meanwhile, the Joint Secretary (North) of the external affairs ministry, Abhay Thakur, who had accompanied the secretary, said the revised costs for Punatshangchhu Hydropower Projects have been approved.

He said the final endorsement came after various experts, technical, and government approvals.

According to him, PHPA 1, even after escalation, is less than Rs 80 M per Megawatt and PHPA II, even after proposed expected escalation, will be in the range of Rs 70 M per Megawatt.

Abhay Thakur said these are extremely competitive range anywhere else in South Asia. “I am very happy to say that on July 31, the union cabinet of India approved the revised cost estimate of PHPA I of Nu 93 B. So I think we are on track and will complete the project on time.”

PHPA I was running low on budget for last few months, with the original estimated cost of Nu 52 B already exhausted.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube