ACC investigates, affected households yet to receive insurance claims

ParoEarthquake-InsuranceClaimThousands of houses were damaged across the country by a massive earthquake in September 2011. More than two years on, some of the affected households are still waiting for their insurance claims while some received only part of what they are entitled to.

The matter is now with the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC). The ACC investigation found that a revenue collection inspector, without valid reasons, had deducted a total amount of Nu. 440,000 from at least 21 households from Naja Gewog as excess fund.

The investigation also found that the official had a bank account maintained in Haa, although his duty station was in Paro. He had also deposited an additional Nu. 170,000 in his account maintained in Haa. The report stated he had gone all the way to Haa to deposit the money. The money was meant for other affected Gewogs in Paro.

It was found that he had refunded the money when some members from the public had lodged a complaint with the Dzongkhag administration. Aum Kinley Om is one of victims. During the assessment she was told that she would receive 60 CGI sheets and Nu. 80,000. But, she said, she only received half of what she was supposed to get.

“When the inspections were being done, I was told that my house falls in the 3rd level. But later I only received 30 roof sheets and Nu. 60,000. I asked them why but there was no reply.” Many others also share similar stories. Assurances were made but nothing was done.

“At first the Mangmi came here and asked us to bring the red insurance slips and we gave it to him. But then only some were given the insurance claims. When we approached the Gewog office, we were told to wait and nothing was done,” said Jeyso, another victim to this incident.

About 30 households did not get any insurance money, said Wangdi, a local resident. “We went to the Dzongkhag Administration and even put up an application, and we were assured we would get. I was even told by the Gup that I would get Nu. 20,000. For this I went to his office three times but got nothing. After that I approached the Zimpon’s office and from there a letter was sent to the Dzongkhag office and another inspection was carried out. But we have heard nothing after this,” he added.

The Naja Gup, Kado, said officials from the Gewog and Dzongkhag administration jointly conducted the inspections. “The matter is currently with the anti-corruption,” he said.

Top Stories

Related Stories

6 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube