Villagers accuse mining company of ruining their water source

minin-g-The lime mining has cost them their water source; allege the villagers of Khariphu under Maedwang Gewog in Thimphu. As an act of defiance, 13 out of 46 households have refused to sign a clearance agreement.

The clearance agreement would otherwise extend the lease period and allow Kuenphen Norden Mining Company to continue operating in Khariphu for another five years. They have been excavating lime for about 10 years. The lease ends in March this year.

The villagers say their water source – big enough to deter children from crossing it – has turned into a trickle. “It has affected our water supply and even our irrigation,” said a villager, Domchu.

Another villager, Phub Lham, said she used to cultivate paddy in two different locations before the mining began. Ten years after, she has and continues to leave some of her land fallow.

“Earlier, we had enough water for all of us in the village. It used to take us just a day to transplant paddy. But now, it takes about two to three days,” said Aum Dorji, a resident of Khariphu.

Others said the crop yield has declined.

On the other hand, Kuenphen Norden Mining’s Owner, Kuenzang Gyaltshen, denies the allegation.

“During my 10 years of mining operation, no villagers complained about the water shortage.” He said he has looked after their welfare. “I even maintained the drainage system for the community.”

Instead, Kuenzang Gyaltshen is accusing the villagers of double standard. He said the villagers had given approval to another person to mine. “The owner had also committed Nu.50, 000 to each household.” He said the villagers, at that time, conveniently forgot about their water problem. The project was scrapped after it failed to get the government’s approval.

The villagers have also hurled another accusation against the mining company. They say the Kuenphen Norden Mining Company forged their signatures after they refused to sign the clearance agreement.

They accuse the owner of forging signatures of some of the villagers who were not present at a meeting.  “My wife had left the meeting after I told her not to sign. But later I found out that my wife’s signature reflected on the clearance certificate. I don’t know how that happened,” said Domchu.

Kuenzang Gyaltshen refuted the allegation. “I did not forge any signatures.” He said the matter is being investigated by the Dzongkhag.

Following the complaint, the Dzongkhag officials and local representatives visited the site yesterday.

A preliminary investigation is going on and a detailed report on the mining activities will be submitted to Dzongda, according to Thimphu Dzongrab, Dorji Gyeltshen.

Thimphu has eight mines and quarries. All of them are located in Maedwang Gewog.

Top Stories

Related Stories

3 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube