Nationwide hunt for female archers begins

Nationwide hunt for female archersThe Bhutan Archery Federation is on a nationwide talent hunt for female national archers. The hunt for national women archers began from Trashigang. Twelve women took part in the archery coaching camp organised in Kanglung by the Bhutan Archery Federation. They are chasing the dream to become a national women archer. After similar coaching camps in Gelegphu and Thimphu, only two women will be selected.

The Coach, Tashi Tshering, said they teach them six basic steps, during the initial stage of coaching. “We divide them into groups and teach the steps thoroughly. Then we give them bow and arrows and let them shoot using the six steps. The style of shooting is same for both men and women.”

Tashi Tshering said when compared to men, women are little shy in nature. “They hesitate to come in the front and it takes time for them to build confidence.”

The competition is tough and the chances to win are slim, but they are undeterred. “I have been interested in the game since my childhood,” said Sonam Kiba, one of the participants. Her friend had told Sonam Kiba about the coaching camp. “I came here to improve my skills and also try and get to the national level.”Nationwide hunt for female archers.

All of the  participants are students on winter vacation. A few of them said they would have spent their winter vacation meaningfully even if they don’t get selected. “I am here to show my talent,” said another participant, Karma Choki.

The Bhutan’s Olympian Woman archer, Sherub Zam, said to be a successful women archer, one only needs to have love for the game. “If we have skills and control our mind, there is nothing that we cannot do. Our Bhutanese women can do everything.”

The number of participants in Kanglung is less than what the Bhutan Archery Federation officials expected. But they are expecting more participants in Gelegphu where coaching camps will begin from 17th of this month. Similar coaching camp will also be held in Thimphu from the 24th of this month. Twenty archers will be selected from these three places for the final selection to be held in Thimphu later this year.

Top Stories

Related Stories

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube