Wait continues for hostel facility in Garpawoong Middle Secondary School

The wait for a hostel facility continues for students of Garpawoong Middle Secondary School in Samdrup Jongkhar. The construction of a hostel worth Nu 32 M was started in 2016. The hostel was supposed to complete by 2017.

With the delay in the hostel’s construction, students have been bearing the brunt as they have to walk for nearly an hour to reach the school.

And some parents in Rishor village of Dewathang Gewog have resorted to hiring vehicles by paying about Nu 2,000 monthly.

“It is difficult, especially during the rainy season because the possibility of trees falling and blocking the way is higher. We would be grateful if the hostel gets ready at the earliest because I am not able to concentrate on my studies as it is exhausting to walk. If it’s in a boarding school, I think I would get plenty of time to focus on my studies,” said Chimi Lhaden, a student of the school.

“It was constructed somewhere in 2017 and it is still not complete. We don’t know what’s happening. Without a hostel facility, it’s difficult and inconvenient for the students, especially during summer. It becomes inconvenient when it rains and soaks all their books,” said Jimpa Tharchen, a parent.

“We don’t know who is at fault for this. The hostel’s construction never seems to be completing,” said Dargay, another parent.

According to the district administration, more than 90 per cent of the work has been completed. Works like fitting windows and electrification among others are remaining.

The construction of a 240-bedded hostel resumed in 2021 after being kept on hold for more than two years. Works were stopped to settle a court case between the district administration and the contractor. The district administration had filed a case against the contractor for not being able to complete the work on time.

The work was awarded to another contractor after settling the case. He was supposed to complete it in April last year. But due to the delay in procuring materials on time, the completion date was extended till December last year. However, the hostel has yet to be completed.

Meanwhile, the contractor said if they get the materials on time, they will be able to complete the remaining work soon.

Kinley Wangchuk, Samdrup Jongkhar

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube