Continuing Education, a success story

Continuing Education (CE) programme is helping many school drop-outs and in-service employees to upgrade their qualifications. Close to 2,000 learners have enrolled into the programme this year alone.

Karma Wangdi is a Switch Board Operator with the Bhutan Power Corporation in Thimphu. After the day’s work, he goes to Kelki Higher Secondary School in Thimphu where his wife, Phuntsho Dema, also goes.

Karma is one of the 413 Continuing Education learners in Kelki Higher Secondary School. He is in XII Commerce. He joined class IX in 2009. Karma and his wife, along with many others, spend two hours every weekday and five hours every weekend studying. It isn’t easy, they say.

“From the time we wake up till the time we go to sleep, there isn’t a second we can afford to waste. I wake up at 4 am in the morning, do my homework for school and go to  work at 5 am.My work requires me  to go door to door to collect bills and fix people’s electricity,” says Karma Wangdi.

Karma Wangdi’s wife, Phuntsho Dema, who works as a Pharmacy technician during the day shares similar challenges. “I don’t get time to spend with my children. I have to leave them at my neighbour’s house.”

[media id=264 width=320 height=260]

But at the end of the day, both the husband and wife say they have made a right decision to continue education. Karma Wangdi says his top priority is to gain knowledge. “Secondly, I am studying so that I can help my parents.  I can also improve my family’s lifestyle. Thirdly, even though I don’t hold a big position at work, I will still be able to pass on to my children the things I have learned.”

The classes run from 6 till 8 every evening.

Mohan Rai, who has been the CE coordinator for the last 11 years, explains why the programme has become popular.

“The fact that they have been one time disadvantaged, not being to continue their studies for many reasons, now have the opportunity,” he said. He said many of them who did CE have a successful story to tell and that itself is a reason enough for others to follow the suit.

The first pilot testing of CE programme was carried out at Kelki Higher Secondary School in 2006.

Currently there are 23 CE centres spread across 11 Dzongkhags.

Top Stories

Related Stories

4 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube