97-year-old woman gets back sight after 15 years

Imagine getting your vision back after being blind for more than 15 years. That’s exactly what happened to a 97-year-old woman in Zhemgang. Thanks to a cataract surgery last year, her vision became clear.

Tashi Gyelmo from Buli lost her vision when she was about 80 years old. Tashi says, she become anxious and never hoped of getting her vision back.

But since she underwent cataract surgery last year, her vision is getting clearer. She can now recognise people in her village and can independently walk in her house.

“I didn’t think that I would regain vision. All thanks to the doctors who carried out the operation. I can now recognise people. Had it not been for this initiative, I would have remained blind forever,” said Tashi Gyelmo.

She says common blindness in old people like hers can be corrected. She urges people to seek help from the hospitals.

“I am thankful to His Majesty for this noble initiative for I got the opportunity to see everything once again. I have nothing to offer to His Majesty except for His Majesty’s long and prosperous life. It’s truly been a blessing for me,” added Tashi Gyelmo.

Similarly, some 800 people around Buli availed themselves of the camp services conducted by the senior ophthalmologists and technicians from Thimphu last year.

Like Tashi, many in Zhemgang feel that outreach operative services should be made available every year.

Pema Samdrup, Zhemgang

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube