Education Minister apologises for not responding to NC’s recommendations

To prevent suicide and curb mental health issues in the country, the National Council in its last session submitted nine recommendations to the Government. Of which four were addressed to the education ministry. However, during the question time today, Education Minister Jai Bir Rai said he was not aware of the recommendations passed by the Social and Cultural Affairs Committee of the house.

“I did not know when the letter and recommendations were sent. I feel my counterparts have failed a little. So, since I did not know, it is not that we do not have respect and trust. It is not. I will ask my officials and discuss it properly and then report it to the house. On behalf of the ministry, I want to apologise today,” said Education Minister, Jai Bir Rai.

The Social and Cultural Affairs Committee undertook a study to ascertain the root causes of mental health and suicide issues in the country. As per its review report, the suicide rate was high among young people aged 10-24 years and mental disorders among 15-49 years.

Recruiting and allocating a minimum of one counsellor at all levels of schools, providing additional counsellors in schools with bigger populations, improving counselling room facilities and encouraging regular spiritual programs in educational institutes were the four recommendations passed by the house.

The education minister said the ministry will discuss the recommendations and present the report in the next session.

Tshering Dendup

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube