IT camp bridging digital divide among youth

We live in an era where digital technologies are revolutionising the global economy and the way people live, work and play. But in the country, these things seem far from achievable, at least for now, with only a handful of people having access to digital technologies such as computers and laptops. To prepare underprivileged youth to navigate the digital world through digital literacy and technology, an IT training camp was organised at the Gyalpoizhing College of Information Technology in Monggar.

Elsewhere in the world, people are talking about artificial intelligence, the Internet of Things, self-driving cars and more. But in Monggar, high school students, who will have a greater hand in shaping the country’s future, have just started to understand how to run Microsoft office tools and basic computer networking. Thanks to Project SHERAB, they are at least learning the basics before it is too late.

Dechen Rabgyal, one of the organisers with Project SHERAB said the training will prepare the students with the necessary knowledge as they transition to tertiary institutes and colleges.

“Our primary criterion is students who do not have computers at home. Of course, they have IT classes at schools but then for some, it’s an optional subject and even if it’s mandatory, students do not get adequate time. So, we felt that when they are on vacation if the faculty with relevant expertise such as the faculty of Gyalpoizhing College of Information Technology could deliver such training it would help them learn more.”

The project consisting of a group of volunteers who are also alumni of the Royal Institute of Governance and Strategic Studies’ Foundational Leadership Programme organised the two-week-long camp. It was for 75 class XII students in Monggar who do not have access to computers at home. As per reports with the Monggar district education sector, more than 350 students in class XII do not have access to computers at home.

“We conducted an aptitude test for the participants and we found that most of them have limited knowledge about information technology,” said Karma Dorji, one of the trainers from the Gyalpoizhing College of Information Technology.

“When I came for the camp, initially it was challenging for me since I could not type fast like other participants. So, the camp helped me type better and faster. After attending the training, I also learnt how to install and use Dzongkha Unicode,” said Jigme Choden, one of the participants.

“Before the training, I didn’t know how to install software. But the trainers here are teaching us how to install and use different software. Now, I can share the knowledge that I learnt from the training with my friends in school,” said Tshering Jamtsho, another participant.

And according to the Nationwide ICT Household Survey report 2021, only about four per cent of the households in the country own a computer, 19 per cent own a laptop and about four per cent own a tablet.

“Without understanding or the knowledge of information and technology, students particularly the younger generation may not be able to participate proactively in the fast-changing and globalising world. So, there is a huge disadvantage if these groups of people are left unattended.  Second, we focused primarily on youth because as people in general and leaders in particular stresses that youth are the future of the country but then future is the technology,” said Dechen Rabgyal.

Project SHERAB also conducted a similar camp for the students of Paro in January last year. They also plan to conduct such camps in other parts of the country in the future.

Computer and digital literacy have become the need of the hour, particularly for the younger generation as the world becomes increasingly digitised. And such a project will go a long way in addressing the digital divide facing the youth particularly in the remote areas in the country.

Sonam Tshering, Monggar

Edited by Phub Gyem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube