Dragon fruits, a promising crop for first time growers in Shumar, Pema Gatshel

That feeling you get, when you start something new and it turns out good, is almost euphoric. This is exactly what two farmers in Shumar Gewog in Pema Gatshel are feeling. They have tried growing dragon fruits for the first time in their community. The plants are growing well so far and they are already looking forward to a good harvest by next year.

Ugyen Chophel and Lungten in Shumar planted dragon fruit saplings last year. The plants require posts to climb. They tie them to the posts with thread to let the stems grow up. The plants usually begin to flower within six to eight months. Ugyen and Lungten received the saplings from Wengkhar Agriculture Research and Development Centre in Monggar. Ugyen was encouraged to grow the fruit after he was introduced to the plant at Agriculture Research and Development Centres in Wangdue Phodrang and Wengkhar. When the plant is mature, it fruits four to six times a year. Moreover, once planted, a plant can bear fruit for up to 20 to 30 years.

“Growing dragon fruits is not as difficult as growing other crops. The plant grows fast and fruits within two years. The plants started fruiting now. All we have to do is erect a post for the plant to grow,” said Ugyen.

“I have never seen people in my district cultivating or selling the fruit. I am growing it for the first time. I learnt on YouTube how to plant fruit sapling,” said Lungten.

They are planning to grow it on a larger scale and supply saplings for fellow villagers. It is not just the growers, even the village elders are excited about the fruit being cultivated in their community for the first time.

“It is easier to be a farmer today. Things weren’t easy during our time. Today, the government is providing everything if one can work. I am hoping that I will be able to taste the fruit before I die,” said Sangay Yuden from Shali in Shumar Gewog.

As it is an expensive fruit, Ugyen and Lungten are expecting to earn good income within a few years from now.

Besides Ugyen and Lungten, there are two other farmers growing the fruit on a larger scale in Nanong and Chhimong gewogs in Pema Gatshel. The district agriculture sector along with the Wengkhar Agriculture and Research Development Centre is supporting them by supplying the fruit saplings.

Thinley Dorji, Pema Gatshel

Edited by Phub Gyem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube